Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hanes Field??????

Sam Zell is a smart guy, I'm even going to assume he's smarter than me. But selling naming rights to Wrigley Field has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Do you really think anybody will call it "White Castle Field" or whatever? No. Also, I would argue that a smart company will invest their marketing dollars elsewhere, b/c I know I would think twice about buying a product that the company that slaps their logo on Wrigley makes. If it is Hanes Field, I'll become a Fruit-of-the-Loom guy. If it is Treasures Field, I'll have to go to Centerfolds instead....ok, maybe I'd let Treasures slide--mainly b/c the marketing opportunities are endless. But I digress...message to Zell--sell the team and the stadium, get your money and go about figuring out how to save that dying media (newspapers) that you invested a shitload of money in.

Matter of fact, I've got a great idea. Maybe the Wrigley Company should spend a few bucks for the naming rights and...wait for it...call it Wrigley Field. The public goodwill they would get would be worth the price they paid...of course that's easy for me to say b/c it isn't my money.

Instead of me having to worry about shit like this, I'd like to spend more of my time figuring out of the Cubs will end this "little" drought they've had and finally make it to the World Series this year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would love to say something disparaging about the Cubs and their fans here, but even a supreme Cub-hater like myself considers Wrigley hallowed ground. (And haunted ground, if the goat has any say in the matter). Changing the name to something nauseously corporate would be phenomenally stupid by a magnitude even the Cubs don't deserve.

That said, White Castle Field would be >>>>>>> cake. Hatred-fodder for eons. ...