Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Can we?

I have to admit that I haven't watched one bit of election coverage tonight. If I had, I'd probably lose whatever sanity I had left. Finally getting around to watching City of God (yes, massive late pass for me...I have no excuse) probably didn't put me in the best of moods anyway...and then when I checked CNN.com and saw that Obama had lost both Texas and Ohio, fairly convincingly in Ohio...well, just say I'm not in the best of moods at the moment.

Problem is, I really don't know why. Fact of the matter--I don't consider the Clinton administration a failure like a couple of my friends. I do think he sold out a lot of the very principles (not to mention people) that he used to get elected (especially the first time when he ran a campaign very similarly themed to the one Obama is running now). But I'm a big boy and I understand that is what politicians do when in office. And let's face it--those 8 years were pretty good for Americans overall. Not great, but pretty good. Better than the Reagan 8 and definitely better than the Carter 4 and GWB1's term. But I also hated (looking in hindsight), that the Clintons basically divided this country into the red state/blue state mindset that we have today. They divided the country so deeply that 49 percent of the country voted for Bush in 2000 and then 51 percent voted for him again in 2004.

And policy wise, I do think Hillary has some good ideas. And I do agree that her having been through the wars would help in a general election. What really intrigued me the most about Obama though was that he was running a different campaign. Was I worried about what they other side would pull out on him during a general campaign? Sure. But I honestly was willing to take that chance--I felt we had to take that chance to have any hope of uniting this country again. And I just have a sick feeling in my gut that if Hillary wins this nomination that I'm looking at more "politricks as usual" and really, there's no winner in that scenario.

Finally, I'm going to pay very close attention (as I have been already) and I don't think I'm alone here--if Hillary wins this nomination, it is not a given that she has my vote. As Tupac said, "I'm not a republican, but don't push me..." Ok, maybe that's not a direct quote...but you get my drift.

I'm going to bed...I'll force myself to read what the pundits say tomorrow.

DBDR

1 comment:

Cotter said...

I have found the solution - Cotter for President in 2028. Write that down.